About Drawing File Format Changes
Drawing (DWG) files are the native data files that are created when using AutoCAD-based
Each AutoCAD-based product uses a specific file format when saving to a file, which
is important when sharing files with clients and other users in your company.
The following table outlines which file format should be used when sharing files with
other users of AutoCAD or AutoCAD-based products.
|File Format||AutoCAD Release|
|AutoCAD 2013||AutoCAD 2013 through AutoCAD 2016|
|AutoCAD 2010||AutoCAD 2010 through AutoCAD 2012|
|AutoCAD 2007||AutoCAD 2007 through AutoCAD 2009|
|AutoCAD 2004||AutoCAD 2004 through AutoCAD 2006|
|AutoCAD 2000||AutoCAD 2000 through AutoCAD 2002|
|AutoCAD R14||AutoCAD R14|
|AutoCAD R12 DXF||AutoCAD R13|
|AutoCAD R12 DXF||AutoCAD R12|
When working in an office that uses multiple AutoCAD-based product releases, you can
set the default file format to use when saving to a file. The option to set the default
file format can be found on the Open and Save tab of the Options dialog box under
the File Save section. Selecting a file format from the Save As drop-down list affects
the following commands:
Setting the default file format does not affect the following commands:
- WBLOCK â€“ Drawing files created with the command need to be opened and re-saved to an earlier
file format as needed.
- REFEDIT â€“ Drawing files edited with the command need to be opened and re-saved to an earlier
file format as needed.
- COPYCLIP â€“ Selected drawing objects are copied to a drawing file that is saved in the native
drawing file format. You cannot copy and paste drawing objects between releases that
use different native drawing file formats, such as AutoCAD 2012 and AutoCAD 2016.
If you need objects to be made available in an earlier release, as a workaround, do
- Use the WBLOCK command to export the selected objects to a separate drawing file.
- Open the drawing file and re-save it to the earlier drawing file format with the SAVEAS
- Bring the objects into the earlier release with the XREF or INSERT command.
While the SAVEAS command can be used to save a drawing from one file format to another,
it is not efficient when exchanging multiple drawings that need to be saved to a different
format. Instead, use any of the following methods to save multiple drawings to a different
drawing file format:
- DWGCONVERT command â€“ A batch convertor that resaves selected drawing files between file formats.
- ETRANSMIT command â€“ A transmittal process that saves the current drawing and referenced drawing files
to the selected drawing file format. The current Transmittal Setup controls the drawing
file format to save the drawing to.
- DWG TrueView â€“ A stand-alone application that can be used to saves multiple drawing files to a
specified file format. DWG TrueView is available as a separate and free download.
- AutoCAD 360 â€“ A Web portal that allows for posting and reviewing drawing files. Posted drawing
files can be downloaded in a different drawing file format. (http://www.autocad360.com)
- ScriptPro â€“ A batch script executor that runs specified script (SCR) files across selected
drawing files. SCR files can be used to save drawings to a different file format.
>About Drawing File Format Changes. Drawing (DWG) files are the native data files that are created when using AutoCAD-based products. Each AutoCAD-based product uses a specific file format when saving to a file, which is important when sharing files with clients and other users in your company.drawing file formats are compatible with each other. Changes to drawing formats are updated depending on release …drawing format than AutoCAD 2017-based products and … Parent topic: About Drawing (DWG) File Changes …DWG) file format change every three releases. The file format changes are done to …… A Visio drawing file uses the extension .vsdx. …. source, and the appearance of these elements changes as data in the data source refreshes.DWG (from drawing) is a proprietary binary file format used for storing two- and three- ….. "We are not going to change the license." Jump up ^ "LibDWG – free …file format developed by Autodesk for enabling data … For these reasons many CAD applications use the DWG format which can be licensed from Autodesk or …. What links here · Related changes · Upload file · Special pages · Permanent link · Page information · Wikidata item · Cite this page …… If the groundwork is being laid for a file format that's more heavily cloud-reliant or subject to continuous change, say, that would be an absolute …DWG file format changed between R13 C2 and R13 C3.