About Using the Data Extraction Wizard
You use the Data Extraction wizard to choose the data source (drawings) to extract
property data from selected objects. You can output the data to a table or external
The Data Extraction wizard VCades you through the process of
- Selecting the data source, which can be a drawing, set of drawings, or folders.
- Filtering objects (non-blocks and blocks) are extracted and selecting properties from
which data is extracted.
- Organizing and refining the extracted data.
- Merging information from an Excel spreadsheet with the extracted data.
- Choosing an output format for the data (a table and/or an external file).
- Formatting the extracted data in a table by specifying a table style or selecting
an existing pre-formatted table.
The first time you extract data, you are prompted to save the data extraction settings
in a data extraction (DXE) file. Later, if you need to edit the data extraction, you
select the DXE file, which contains all the settings (data source, selected objects
and their properties, output format and table style) that you used to create the extraction.
For example, if you wanted to remove some property data from the extraction, you would
select the DXE file that was used to create the extraction and made the desired changes.
A data extraction file can also be used as a template to perform the same type of
extraction in a different drawing. The DXE file stores drawing and folder selections,
object and property selections, and formatting choices. If you need to extract the
same type of information repeatedly, using a DXE file is time-saving and convenient.
You can also edit a DXE file. You can add or remove drawings, add or remove objects,
or select different properties from which to extract data. Tables that reference the
same DXE file, even if those tables are in other drawings, display the changes when
those tables are updated.
from blocks and attributes. When using a BLK file for extracting data or editing an
existing extraction, you are prompted to save the data extraction to a DXE file in
order to proceed with the extraction.